Monday, October 19, 2009

First Impressrions are Truly Deceptive

As I approached 35th and Lisbon, I was, to be honest, scared. Being from a medium sized town, this shady look for a neighborhood was the stereotype for a bad one. I began my adventure taking a few pictures of the neighborhood; some of vacant lots and people doing their everyday routine. I entered what I thought was a church, but happened to be Our Next Generation, I noticed this was one of many “churches” in the area. I spoke to a very kind, white, woman once inside (I note she was white considering she is probably one of the few that are actually there). She explains that the neighborhood has had some high crime rates and a bad reputation but it is strongly improving. After my discussion, I felt as though the neighborhood transformed in my mind.

As I exited the building, nothing had physically changed, but I felt better about my presence. I saw vacant lots as a project for the community to bond rather than a space where a building used to be. My views completely flipped; people walking or sitting weren’t scary anymore, but just a person, as you and I, going about their day. I also began to notice other organizations, like the YMCA and churches rather than liquor stores. I felt ashamed and happy at the same time; that I had these prejudices but that I was able to see this place for what it was – an American neighborhood

No comments:

Post a Comment